Celebrating 60 Years as a Community Healthcare Provider
Grundy County Memorial Hospital (GCMH) opened its doors in July, 1952 as a Veterans Memorial Hospital. It was the culmination of hard work by local physician Dr.Henry Mol and other community leaders who felt the area needed local hospital services in a permanent location.
* 1952 Grundy County Memorial Hospital opened as a 38-bed full service hospital on July 1. An independent Board of Commissioners, appointed by the county board of supervisors, is responsible for the hospital management and operations.
* 1967 Grundy County voters approved a $750,000 bond issue to modernize the hospital and add a long term care unit for area senior citizens.
* 1971 An Open House and formal dedication introduced the renovated hospital space and new long term care unit to the area.
* 1993 Rural health care providers are suffering financially. The hospital benefitted from the foresight of the county Board of Supervisors who pledged a financial subsidy to help with the hospital's operating deficit. A bond referendum was passed to help offset the hospital's debt.
* 2000 The hospital affiliated with Allen Hospital in Waterloo and reduced costs through joint purchasing and sharing of resources.
* 2000 The hospital successfully applied for critical access status under the Medicare Rural Hospital Flexibility Program, which allows the hospital to receive full Medicare reimbursement rates for services provided to Medicare patients. This designation improved the hospital's finances dramatically.
* 2004 The first Touch a Life capital campaign was launched to finance physical plant modernization and expansion of outpatient service areas of the hospital.
* 2009 The second Touch a Life capital campaign financed a new inpatient area and Emergency Department, which opened in June, 2010. A remodeled surgery area opened in March 2011.
* 2012 Grundy County Memorial Hospital celebrates sixty years as a community hospital